Who Are We and What is Our Mission?
Habitat DIGS (Dedicated Individuals Giving and Serving) is a group of young locals who advocate for Habitat for Humanity by raising funds, increasing awareness, and recruiting volunteers. We support Habitat’s mission to eliminate poverty housing and believe that housing is the path to preserving an engaged and diverse community. DIGS events and volunteer opportunities offer a fun and alternative way to give back.
We raise funds by hosting fundraising events big and small, such as our annual HalloWine wine tasting celebration.
We increase awareness about the need for affordable housing in our community through social events, informational lunches, a presence at local planning meetings, and social media advertising campaigns.
We recruit volunteers by publicizing and hosting unique volunteer opportunities on and off the jobsite.
Since our inception, DIGS has:
- raised $30,000 – enough to dig the foundations of 3 Habitat homes;
- established a large support base with over 70 committed members;
- increased awareness of Habitat’s efforts to address the need for affordable housing in Jackson;
- and contributed numerous volunteer hours to help Habitat build and renovate homes for families in need.
DIGS is poised to do even more. By July of 2013, we aim to earn 2,000 volunteer hours on behalf of DIGS members and friends – the amount of hours it takes to build one house. We are hosting DIGS Build Days at our Teton Village site on the last Saturday of every month that will be followed by BBQs and happy hours.
- Build & BBQs at the Construction Site (Summer)
- HalloWine, an annual wine tasting event (Fall)
- Gaper Build (Winter)
- Happy Hours (Quarterly)
- Prom Dance (Past event)
- Brown Bag Educational Lunches (Past event)
- DIGS Kickoff Party, Summer 2009
How can I help with DIGS?
Come volunteer at Teton Village on the last Saturday of every month to build with DIGS (followed by a happy hour!). Or, join Habitat in Teton Village any Wednesday, Thursday, or Saturday until May 2013 from 9:00 am – 4:30 pm and donate your hours to DIGS! No experience is necessary to volunteer! Wear sturdy, work-ready clothing and bring a water bottle. Please sign up for the build by emailing email@example.com.
For more information about Habitat DIGS call 734-0828 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with DIGS in the subject to join our e-newsletter list.